Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Motivation.. or why I can't seem to ride my bike

If my previous post indicated any malaise in the sport of cycling in Mozambique, you're spot on. However I cannot blame my lack of motivation just on external factors. Certainly the pockmarked marginal and roads around town sporting random bathtubs is not inviting for skinny tyre users. And as I'm no lover of an MTB, I pretty much need to ride where it's nice and smooth. However, it's not just that. It's not like I don't have goals to work for.. even though some of them are slipping away, much like my Argus startplace (group D, starting 6:36).. which will go to someone else as I won't be participating. There are other goals though, other races, a revamped and exciting CopaCiclismo, Panorama Tour, Le Coq Sportif Tour..

Nope, the issues are internal... It's a conflict between wanting to be competitive and wanting just to cycle. I've lost my competitive edge and need to re-train and re-tool. I need to get back into the rythmn of riding and training. But I just can't get up and out of bed. Procrastination? Some sort of reverse psycology training method - don't train to be trained?! I KNOW there are no short-cuts in cycling. The excruciating first climbs of Namaacha almost 3 years ago taught me that. The endless Caracol repeats taught me slow and steady will eventually turn into fast and explosive. But I now need to climb those hills again. I need to mentalise that I'm back where I started, only with a more expensive bike. The equipment is sussed. The technique is more or less there. Enough wasting time on blogs and Wiggle.co.uk and E-bay and reading cycle mags on how to magically get fit. It's time to put pedal to the metal and just ride.

JUST DO IT....

No comments:

Post a Comment