Monday, February 25, 2013

Riding for the hell of it


Cycling is an enjoyable pastime because you have a chance to travel (relatively) long distances at a leisurely pace and take in the surroundings in more ways than you could driving a car.  You see a lot more, you hear a lot more and you invariably smell more things.  If you’re riding through a beautiful forest that is great, not so great if you’re riding next to a dump site or burning rubbish.  However I find you generally get more out of a ride than it "costs" you, and sometimes you meet some pretty interesting characters along the way, many of them also on 2 wheels.  

 Here is one such encounter with Francisco from Maputo, on his way to a ride in Manhiça.  I caught up to him just before Marracuene on the long drag up, and in reality I heard him before I saw him, with the distorted soundwaves announcing something up ahead.  As I caught up with him I said a profunctory hello and sped off, but as the message finally reached my brain of what I had seen, I slowed down and let him catch up to me, and we started chatting. 

From what I could understand this was an elective journey, riding because he could and not because he needed to get grom A to B, or transport something, or whatever.  This ride was for pleasure, in the same way my ride was for pleasure.  Only he’d been a lot more organised than me and brought his own music along with.  Maybe he was showing off, but don't we all in some way or another?  These photo's are taken with his permission   I salute Francisco and other riders like him who have an individual flair, who enjoy their sport and ride just for the hell of it.


 Correct riding position on the road, high visibility vest, speakers blaring out music with a nice rythmn to keep his pedalstrokes strong.  This is a single speed bike.


 Showing off to the girls along the route?


 Note massive battery and car radio mounted on the steerer.  And water bottle.  We are talking of a professional here.  His out and back journey that day was probably around 110km.

No comments:

Post a Comment