Wednesday, March 4, 2009

SOFOBOMO - Foreward

My first blog entry, and my first SOFOBOMO book project (http://www.sofobomo.org/2009/). Starting off 2009 with some changes! Well, I've chosen to do a SOFOBOMO book because I think it can unleash my creativity at a time when I'm not really being very creative. I need a challenge, and the one-month limit for producing the book (that's pictures, text and layout ALL in one month) certainly is one. So far the project is looking like a photographic exploration of Maputo, capital of Mozambique. I'm thinking of doing it with an old 645 film camera, whcih will be an added challenge considering that I've been shooting digitally since 2003. The square format of the film is also another challenge, as I've been shooting 35mm all my life. Looking through squares instead of rectangles might be the biggest challenge of this project! As far as subject matter, that's the one item I've given the least amount of thought to.. I guess once I decide what my equipment constraints are I'll just go out there and see what I find, and take it from there. If any particular image looks good in the viewfinder then I may explore that avenue, and restrict what I am shooting. I have to produce at least 35 photos for the book, more if I can manage it. The one month starts anytime between May and June, with all projects due by the end of June. I have two months to start practicing with my camera and selecting subjects.. More on this later..

No comments:

Post a Comment